Seeing a movie can be more than just a fun day for you and your child. It provides an instant topic of conversation that should engage both you and your child no matter the age range. However, if you would like a more detailed response from your child than the general, “It was good,” after asking how he or she liked it, here are a few other question ideas:
1. What was your favorite part of the movie? Why was it your favorite?
2. Who was your favorite character? (If the movie involved a superhero, ask this bonus question as a follow-up: If you could have a superpower, what superpower would you choose?)
3. Were there any parts of the movie you didn’t understand?
4. What was the moral message of the movie? Did you agree or disagree with it? Why or why not?
5. What were you thinking at the end of the movie?
6. Would you recommend it to a friend? Why or why not?
The sample questions from Alpha Omega Publishing provide a great starting point to engage your child’s critical thinking.
Feel free to add additional “deep dive” questions in the comments section.